In the days following hurricane Sandy's arrival in New Milford your fire department has been hard at work. Logging countless man hours since Monday we have to date logged over 40 calls for service this week. As much of the town remains without power we remind all residents of the following tips:
—Make sure generators are properly ventilated and kept well away from any flammable surroundings.
—Do not place generators indoors or in garages where deadly carbon monoxide buildup may occur.
—Make sure all carbon monoxide detectors in your home have fresh batteries and aren't past the manufacturers recommended replacement date.
—Restoration of electricity to your home may cause a surge which can cause plugged in items to catch fire. All items should be unplugged unless properly hooked up to a surge protector.